The Arden Shakespeare is the established scholarly edition of Shakespeare’s plays. Now in its third series, Arden offers the best in contemporary scholarship. Each volume guides you to a deeper understanding and appreciation of Shakespeare’s work.
This edition of King Lear provides:
- A clear and authoritative text, edited to the highest standards of scholarship.
- Details notes and commentary on the same page as the text.
- A full, illustrated introduction to the play’s historical, cultural, and performance contexts.
- An in-depth survey of critical approaches to the play. A full index to the introduction and notes.
- A select bibliography of references and further reading.
With a wealth of helpful and incisive commentary, The Arden Shakespeare is the finest edition of Shakespeare you can find.
R. A. Foakes is Professor Emeritus at the University of California, Los Angeles. He has also taught or held fellowships at Yale, Birmingham, Durham, Kent, Toronto, the University of California, Santa Barbara, and the Australian National University, Canberra. He has written extensively on King Lear in his book, Hamlet versus Lear: Cultural Politics and Shakespeare's Art.
Pub Date: 1997
Format: Paperback with bw illus.
Size: 5.25 x 7.75 inches